The Southwest Folklife Alliance is seeking a volunteer coordinator for the Tucson Meet Yourself festival. Each year between 600-800 volunteers assist TMY in carrying out vital functions in the festival, from setting up banners and chairs, selling soda and water to help keep the festival free, helping with waste and recycling, or assisting artists and presenters.
This is a temporary position from mid-May through mid-October 2022 (flex schedule).
This position reports to the SFA Program Manager Nelda Ruiz and works closely with team that includes other senior management staff for the festival and its parent producing organization (SFA).
- Duties include responsibility for all phases of TMY volunteer program:
- Establish and implement a volunteer recruitment plan.
- Develop ongoing partnerships with volunteer agencies and schools, colleges/universities, businesses, service clubs, ethnic clubs, social service organizations, military, and other. like-minded festivals and organizations.
- Identify and represent or assign TMY reps to be present at volunteer recruitment fairs and events.
- Create and/or update list of jobs and shifts according to festival needs.
- Match volunteers to jobs and shifts.
- Oversee design and distribution of Volunteer Training resources and compliance w TMY policies.
- Coordinate placements of volunteer ads, collaterals, media outreach with TMY Marketing team.
- Communicate with signed volunteers, constantly and dynamically via meetings, email, phone, and social networking.
- Assist SFA Program Manager supervise area captains and other volunteer shifts during the festival and work closely with various festival departments, the festival on-site Volunteer Registrar, and other senior festival staff.
- Be available to attend planning and coordination meetings with TMY staff and managers as requested.
- Be present and available for all 3 days and hours of the festival (October 7-9).
The ideal candidate will: have a passion for community-based service and empowerment; be a natural and enthusiastic leader; have excellent computer skills; be comfortable taking the initiative to get results; be skilled at communicating in writing and in person; have the space in their life/work to take on this work with excellent time management skills; be open to receive guidance and feedback; uplift values that center ethnic and BIPOC communities with respect and inclusion.
Compensation: $5,000 + $500 potential bonus + $500 reimbursable expenses (gas, parking, meetings). Approximately 18 weeks (mid-June through mid-October), 7 hours a week average (some weeks less, some weeks more) @ $40/hour.
This is not an employee position. The person hired is solely responsible for meeting all their obligations in tax liability as an Independent Contractor.
To be considered submit a brief note of intent and a resume here.
For questions, contact Nelda Ruiz at email@example.com